Chlorine in Your Drinking Water

how to remove chlorine from your drinking water- clearwater systemsHomeowners often notice that their home’s water smells or tastes like chlorine. While this may seem alarming, the good news is that this doesn’t necessarily mean that your home’s water is contaminated. In fact, chlorine has been used as a primary disinfectant in drinking water since 1908. Currently, about 64% of all community water systems now use chlorine in order to disinfect drinking water.

Why is Chlorine in Drinking Water?

Chlorine is used as a disinfectant in drinking and cooking water, in order to ensure that the water is free of pathogenic microorganisms which can cause illnesses such as typhoid fever, dysentery, cholera, and gastroenteritis.

The Effects of Chlorine in Drinking Water

When chlorine is found in large doses, it can become harmful. However, most of the time, individuals will not notice chlorine in his or her water. When too much is used, however, the “pool smell” will emerge. Excess amounts of chlorine does cause a smell or bad taste, can dry out skin and hair and can have some health risks, including anemia in infants. Drinking water is considered safe as long as it’s chlorine levels do not exceed 4 milligrams per liter. Below this level, there are no known harmful health effects.

Solution for Chlorine in Drinking Water

Many issues with excess chlorine can easily be solved with a drinking water filtration system or a problem water filter designed to eliminate chlorine in your drinking water. If you think your home has excess chlorine in its water supply, we highly recommend scheduling a free water test today in order to get a better understanding of your water supply. Contact us today!